Nobel Peace Prize winner Albert Schweitzer once said "One thing I know; the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." I believe that to be true and found some of the most deeply gratifying and personally enriching life experiences were those spent serving others, either in my backyard or halfway around the world.
We are so committed to serving others here at PartsSource that we require our Executive Management team to volunteer to serve in at least one community
- organization and we have a fulltime "outreach" coordinator here on our staff. That individual's sole job is to make sure the people of PartsSource know how and where they can plug in and serve others and we make every effort to support their efforts to do so.
I challenge you to do the same in your life as well. As a highly trained Clinical Engineer your skills could be invaluable in bringing life-saving equipment back to working order in clinics helping the less fortunate worldwide.
- Technology that we view as hopelessly out-of-date is considered cutting edge in much of the world and if made operational, can literally change lives for the better. If you don't know where or how you can make a difference feel free to call PartsSource and we'll try and help. If we remember that our skills are badly needed by those who need help the most it makes the work you do volunteering no work at all. Just like Albert said!
-- the end --
(To continue reading click the left/right arrows)
Joseph Barry, Purchasing Director, Robert Packer Hospital
1. Where are you from originally?
I was born and raised in New England (Boston area) and spent my childhood in Vermont. I have lived here in Sayre, Pennsylvania for the past 10 years.
Yes. My wife Margaret and I were married eight years ago.
I have two boys. Liam is five and Declan is three. My wife and I both have an Irish heritage so we wanted to give our boys very traditional Irish names.
4. How long have you worked at Guthrie Healthcare
I have been here at Guthrie for the past eight years
5. Have you always held the same job for Guthrie Healthcare
No, I have held several different positions at Guthrie during my eight year tenure. Believe it or not, I began my career here as a delivery driver before moving into commercial billing for a while. I saw an opportunity to better utilize my Business Management degree in the Purchasing Department almost four years ago, was hired as an Expediter and then moved into my current role of Buyer two years ago.
6. What do you like best about your job? How do you make your job fun?
I like knowing that I'm lowering the cost of health care at my facility. I like using networking to create ways to save Guthrie money and take cost out wherever possible. My goal is to use the financial resources we have available to make this organization as efficient as humanly possible, and companies like PartsSource help me greatly in attaining this goal. I keep the job fun by constantly joking around with my co-workers, and being one of the few males in my department, I take a lot of abuse, so in self-defense, I have to stand up for myself.
7. What do you like least about your job? What do you wish you could change?
I dislike all the paperwork. I wish every company was able to communicate with us electronically and take as much paperwork as possible out of the equation. It is a lot more efficient and cost effective to utilize technology.
8. This newsletter will go out to thousands of other people working in the same field as you. What tips can you give somebody just starting out? What do you wish somebody had told you when you were new?
You have to BELIEVE, really believe, in yourself and your company's system and organization. You have to believe that your hard work will pay off. You have to have faith that your efforts and accomplishments will get noticed (sometimes not right away) and that someday you'll be recognized and all your work will reap benefits for you and your organization overall. If you don't believe that, then it's time to go.
9. Tell us something about you that most people don't know (hobbies, interests, special talent, family background, etc)
I love to cook and I love to fish. I love spending time doing just about anything with my family. I really like teaching the boys how to fish. My specialty is grilling and there is literally nothing I won't try to grill if you give me a hot fire and a chance!
-- the end --
- One of the most popular features of ePartsFinder is the Management Console and the tremendous amount of flexibility and control it allows hospitals to employ over part purchases. When your department is utilizing ePartsFinder the console allows management to control the dollar amount of purchase authority at the facility or even user level. This allows managers to set the dollar level, by user, for issuing purchase orders without further approval. A new technician may have their dollar authority set very low while a more experienced imaging engineer may have their limits set very high if at all.
When this feature is enabled PartsSource receives the part request as we would any other but before the order can be released a manager must also approve the purchase if the dollar amount is over a predefined level. And, management is shown all options available for purchase so if needed a decision can be made to change the initial order to a different part condition or price.
The management console also utilizes the "shopping cart" technology pioneered by notable on line retailers such as Amazon.com.
If you're placing a large order for many different parts ePartsFinder aggregates these requests into a single shopping cart for your ultimate approval, changes or even denials. This way engineers across your entire facility (or even health system if configured that way) can submit part orders throughout the day and management can, upon a single review, decide to proceed with the purchase as requested or make any changes as needed. All on one screen, all at one time.
The management console was built because users just like you asked for it. Just like SmartPrice was created because users wanted the ePartsFinder to more closely resemble the online buying experience they received when shopping at home. Speed, convenience, savings and through the management console, control and compliance are all yours when using ePartsFinder to procure medical replacement parts.
-- the end --